Dear John Hay Families:
There is a new bill out there that may come up; it is called HB 1025- The School Flexibility Act. This bill seeks to ELIMINATE THE K-8 Physical Education Requirement!!! Scroll to the bottom of the bill and see what is in there that is being repealed.
Please check the wahperd website (wahperd.com) for resources to read through to keep you informed as you write to your representative.
Listed below are the sponsors of the bill with their emails. Larry Crouse out of Spokane is the main sponsor, but we need to email all of these people including our own local representatives and senators.
Things to highlight in your emails:
1. Academic benefits of physical education.
2. Obesity stats: 34% now, predicted to be 40% by next decade.
3. We need more PE, not less!!
4. Do not balance the budget on the backs of our students who need to be active!
5. This generation of student is predicted to not out live their parents because of the obesity and diabetes epidemics.
6. Our state spends about 1.8 billion dollars each year for health care costs due to obesity and diabetes.
7. Let’s put some money into to prevention rather than treatment; prevention costs less than treatment!.
Legislators tend to respond to emails that is your own text for your emails, rather than all of us sending them a “form email”.
Thanks and let’s work hard to reverse this bill!
Here is the list of emails: