School Lunch = Good for Kids + Good for your Wallet
As the cost of everything increases-there is one meal that is still a great value: both nutritionally and economically! School lunch is still a bargain at $2.75!
Every school lunch includes FIVE GREAT CHOICES everyday:
- Milk 1% white or fat free chocolate
- Vegetables – from jicama sticks to cherry tomatoes
- Fruit – Locally grown apples, plums, pears
- Grains – whole grain bread in rolls, and buns
- Meat – good sources of protein, chicken, beans chili
School lunches must meet nutrition guidelines based on Dietary Guidelines for Americans. No more than 30% of calories can come from fat and less than 10% from saturated fat.
Students who eat school lunches consume less calories from fat than students who bring lunch from home. Compared to lunches from home, school lunches contain:
- Three times as many dairy products
- Twice as much fruit
- Seven time the vegetable amounts
Save Money: Eat School Lunch
- On average it costs less to buy a school lunch that to bring a lunch from home.
- The estimated national average of a school lunch from home was $3.43 last year.1
SCHOOL LUNCH= Good for Kids + Good for Your Wallet!
SUPPORT SCHOOL HOT LUNCH